1. What is a short term rental?
The term “short term rental” (STR) pertains to the rental of a dwelling unit, or any portion thereof, for 30 consecutive calendar days or less to any person or entity. Short term rentals are also known as AirBnBs and Vrbos.
2. Are short term rentals allowed in La Habra Heights?
No, they are not allowed.
3. Are there penalties for having short term rentals?
Yes, the first offence is 400% of the advertised rental rate per night price, the second offence is 600% of the advertised rental rate per night price, and the third offence is 800% of the advertised rental rate per night. If there is no listed rental price, the first offence is $1,000, the second offence is $2,500, and the third offence is $5,000.
4. How do I file a complaint regarding a property used for short term rentals?
AirBnb has a report service that allows neighbors to report a concern directly to them either by call or email, follow this link: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3290.
For non business hours, the Los Angeles County Sheriff department can assist with noise violations, illegal parking, and other issued from prohibited short term rentals.
(626) 330-3322 Los Angeles County Sheriff Department